Need Torrance Garage Doors? Switch to Flip-Up Garage Doors
Flip-up garage doors are also known as tilt-up doors. These types of doors flip up or tilt up when you open them, and they hang from the top of the door frame of your garage. When you need Torrance garage doors, you’ll find this option to be affordable and durable. Here is a more comprehensive guide to flip-up doors for your garage.
What Are the Different Types of Garage Doors?
Deciding on garage doors in Torrance isn’t easy as there are quite a few to choose from. Besides flip-up doors for your garage, you may choose from sectional, roll-up, side-hinged, or even slide-to-side doors.
• Sectional Doors: Sectional doors for your garage are made up of several horizontal sections that relate to hinges. These doors slide up and down a track.
• Roll-Up Doors: These are like sectional doors, but they are made from a single sheet of metal that rolls up and down along a track. Roll-up doors are often used in business and commercial settings.
• Side-Hinged Doors: Side-hinged doors for your garage are like traditional doors. They have hinges that let them swing open and closed.
• Slide-to-Side Doors: These are like sliding patio doors, with panels that slide open and closed along a track.
How Do Flip-Up Doors Differ From Other Garage Doors?
Unlike other garage doors, flip-up doors swing up and outwards to open, rather than sliding or rolling upwards. Here are some specific ways in which flip-up doors differ from other doors:
Flip-up doors for your garage have door panels that swing up and then outwards from the top frame of the garage door. Other doors designed for your garage operate on either a sliding or rolling mechanism, where the door panel moves along a track or rolls upwards on a drum.
When you open a flip-up door, the door panel swings outwards. This means you’ll need space in front of the garage to allow the garage door to fully open. In contrast, other doors for your garage require less space since they move along a track or roll upwards.
Installing a flip-up door for your garage will require heavy-duty hardware. This is because the door panel is heavy, and it will need a strong hinge to support it. In contrast, other doors designed for garages are easier to install since they won’t require the same heavy-duty hardware.
Flip-up doors can go through a significant amount of wear and tear, especially on the hinges. This means you must consider maintenance costs or even garage door repairs in the future.
What Are the Benefits of Having Flip-Up Doors for Your Garage?
There are many factors to consider when choosing the right Torrance garage doors for your home. Here are some of the benefits of having flip-up doors for your garage:
• Wide Variety of Options: Flip-up doors are available in a variety of materials, including wood, aluminum, and steel, and they can be easily customized to match the style of your home.
• Space Saving: Flip-up doors can save space in a garage. Since they don’t need a track or rollers to operate, they take up less headroom in the garage. This can be beneficial for homeowners who have low ceilings, for example, or who want to use the space above the garage for storage.
• Energy Efficient: These doors can be more energy-efficient than other doors because they come in one large panel. Homeowners can choose to have them in insulated materials, which can go a long way in keeping the garage warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. This can help reduce energy bills, especially during a heat wave or a sudden cold storm.
• Easy to Operate: Flip-up doors designed for a garage are easy to operate. They take very little effort to open and close, and you don’t need any kind of motor or electrical power to operate them. This is a great option for homeowners who are looking for a simple, low-maintenance option for their garages.
• Durable: Flip-up doors are durable if they are made from high-quality materials. If you decide to go with this option, make sure that you ask about the various materials available, and choose a material that is designed to withstand the elements and the wear and tear of daily use.
Affordable: Flip-up doors are a more affordable option compared to other doors. This can be helpful for homeowners who are on a budget.
Are There Disadvantages to Flip-Up Doors?
Flip-up doors for your garage aren’t perfect. Here are some disadvantages to consider:
• Space Requirements: Since these doors swing outwards when they open, you will need more space in the front of your garage. This may be a problem for homeowners who have limited driveway space or who live on a busy street.
• Maintenance: Due to the hinges and other hardware on these doors, there may be wear and tear issues after some years. The wear and tear could cause the door to become misaligned or difficult to operate. Maintenance and door repairs for your garage can be time-consuming and expensive.
• Security and Safety: Flip-up doors use extension springs to function, which can be less secure than torsion springs. As extension springs are easier to break, this can cause a potential safety issue. What’s more, flip-up doors for your garage may be made of thinner material than sectional doors or roll-up doors. This may make them easier for outsiders to break in.
• Repairs: When flip-up doors break, you must replace the entire door, which can be costly. Sectional doors, for example, will just require that you replace the broken section.
Torrance Garage Door Services
Weighing your options when it comes to Torrance garage doors isn’t easy. However, when you need garage doors in Torrance, we can help. At Precision Door Service, we provide garage door repairs as well as new garage doors. We even have a garage door designer on our team. Contact us to learn more.